Thursday, April 1, 2010

Random accounts from my phone



Since I had no internet I kept a journal on my phone with the expectation of emailing it to the blog later…internet requires 3g which is not here. Therefore I have to retype it in so these next two entries are from my phone.

Getting on the plane (3/29):

I was absolutely terrified after I got on the plane. I had realized that I was by myself. All these people around me, black people, and not one word of English. D--- I messed up. This was a really bad idea! What the h--- did I just get myself into? Just a few of the thoughts running through my head. What if when I get there I am caught up in an African money scheme of sort and there is no org? As I sat in seat 28b I closed my eyes and said the Lords prayer and afterwards a calmness fell over me and I was straight. This rather loud gentleman tapped my shoulder and pointed saying “Be careful with bins”. I told him I haven’t a clue what he said. He repeated it in English. I said thanks as I was again reminded of my new minority status. There were Europeans, there were Africans, and then there was this southern born black American who had not a clue about anything outside the U.S. Some may consider it fearless and brave to travel to any place in Africa. But I thought little of the horror stories of worried individuals. But you know what fear kept me awake the whole flight? Public restrooms! LOL, they always have and after 7.5hrs w/ 1.5hrs left I have yet to get up and pee. I just find it funny that I am about to pee on myself not bc I am in a plane traveling over shark infested water guaranteed to drown me while on the way to a far away land that only God know what will be waiting on me, but bc I refuse to use the restroom…weird.


Car broke down (3/31):

Hayford, the founder of vpwa, car broke down. I am reflecting while standing on the side of the road with the sun at its brightest. I have learned quite a bit since I have been here. Lots of differences in culture and words. Pear is not a pear but an avocado is a pear. Men holding hands is far from gay (think of it as a really long hand shake lol). Speaking of which you snap after a handshake to youth and you shake gently with both hands to elders. You NEVER make exchanges with your left hand, its disrespectful although snapping, whistling, and hissing at ppl to get there attention is not. I have not tried that much food yet. I had bread and a pear (avocado) this morning and I had fried rice, cabbage, and chicken for dinner last night. My 1st nights rest was cool after I sprayed for bugs. It is incredibly hot here and there is no ac plus the power went out over night…sweltering heat but I slept well regardless. The house is nice it was off a dirt road and when we turned from pavement to dirt I panicked bc there was nothing but shack like houses on the dirt street. BTW streets have no names here, which is very hard concept for me to understand. They use landmarks to describe where they are and to give locations… seems really tough.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did you learn the differences in the culture? like the exchanges with left hand. Did you do it on accident or someone told you?

Chris said...

Somebody told me and plenty of times by accident lol. Funny I am just seeing this comment today because i mistakenly used my left hand again to a Muslim woman.