Sunday, April 11, 2010

Lazy Sunday

I am chilling today. I had a great weekend and more pictures and videos piling up until I get back home. I made a few changes to the blog. Nothing major but I did make it easier for anyone to make comments, hopefully no spam comments will show up. So yesterday I went to the rainforest (the jungle!). And let me tell you it was every bit wild and untamed as you could imagine from any movie. The scenery took me back to the 1st predator movie and forest gump lol. You know when he is running through the jungle trying to find bubba and they are bombing and napalming behind him! Yeah it was just like that minus the fire. I saw the biggest mosquito and it was just floating in the air like a dragonfly as if it was choosing between us for its next meal. 
 
BTW they make malaria seem like it is everywhere or at least everywhere there are mosquitos/ standing water. Coming from the states dealing with mosquito bites are a way of life. Well surprise! There are very few if any mosquitos here (Unless you are in the jungle lol). The misconception comes in to play because we assume they have just as many or more mosquitos as us but they don’t. Now I am not saying don’t take any safety precautions, I am just saying it’s not as big as a concern as I thought it would be. I mean, I never considered how many people live here and they don’t have it nor do they use Off. I have to record riding in traffic here, you would not believe how people drive and what they are driving (no American cars) and what they are driving on. I sat in traffic yesterday for an hour and only moved a quarter mile….Okay crap, I went off on a heck of a tangent. 

We were talking about the rainforest, not flies or traffic. So I was at Cape Coast, where they have slave ports, castles, and national rainforest parks. I saw everything but the ports and castles. And it was brought to my attention that I missed the biggest reason to go to Cape Coast. They also explained 1st Lady Michelle brought her 2 youngins to see the port which is believed to be the same one her ancestors went through. So yeah I get it, really big deal. However on the journey back to Accra (4-5 hrs) I did not feel bad about missing the ports and castles. I mean after all if my ancestors had the choice they would have missed it too lol. Slave history is peculiar because different people find value and honor in different portions of it. I celebrate juneteenth but my Mom hates it. However she would have likely loved to have seen the castles and ports. To me the freedom (end) has more value than the indoctrination (start). True, you gotta know your history but at the end of the day…whoop dee do a slave castle. Give me some gasoline so I can go back and burn that motha down. What you want me to go visit a plantation next?!?! LOL, I think I touched my own nerve. 

Anyway back AGAIN to the rain forest…better yet how about I just post pics and video bc words can describe it anyway.



I was debating on naming this post Atliens because this picture looks just like the video and the mini comic inside the album cover (remember to right click and view picture to see it all)

 
Hard to tell but that red speck is Angela, my  travel buddy for the weekend (remember to right click and view picture to see it all)
 

Hanging out in the tree tops. Please note there is NO safety net below...just lions tigers and bear sized rats!

I got that shirt in 2001, Morehouse NSO, so this trip has been 9yrs in the making! I finally made it home to my tribe and it feels nice :) *exhale* I was a freshman 9 yrs ago and now I am here...I am really here, can you believe that?!



WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE *Guns & Roses voice*

Hope you liked these pics bc it took a solid 2-3hrs to upload them! Good night all

4 comments:

Unknown said...

great pics! i walked across those bridges about 5 yrs ago. they were a bit terrifying because they sway! btw i never received 1 mosquito bite my entire time in ghana. have fun!

makiba

Chris said...

Wow, I didn't know that. Did we not discuss me going??? But hey, it was pretty amazing wasn't it?! I have so much video from the bridge, I wish I could post it all

Hannah said...

Man don't sleep on that Malaria. Luqman thought he could be a boss & not take his pills and def. got very sick with malaria. Why do men always think they can abide by different standards?

Carmen San Diego said...

You know... I did go to the slave castle's in Ghana when I was 8. And even then I understood the signifcance of where I was standing and felt as if I could feel the spirits of my ancestors. It's not so much about celebrating the beginning or the end of slavery, as it is about understanding the impossible pain and also enduring strength it took for you to be where you are today. I definitely recommend seeing it on your next visit, it's another one of those things that inspire you to work hard.