Wednesday, April 7, 2010

I teach you , you teach me

I am almost to the point where all the students are comfortable with me. So soon I will began to take pictures and videos of them. I taught electrical energy yesterday (my favorite subject of course). The classes tend to go on as long as you want them or until you decide you are finish. I started at 9 and stopped at almost 1pm! Can you believe they paid attention the whole time. They have more on the line than American children so they are more motivated to learn, plus being smart is not frowned upon here. Did you know the country wide high school graduation test in Ghana consist of 10 essays! LOL, thats ridiculous! And get this, it was just reduced from 12 last year. They have to write in 4 different languages (language art section) and they have to write an essay over math, social studies, science and whatever other courses they are taking. They set the standards so high so that only the best of the best of the best can get into college...why? There are only 6 colleges in the country and they can only hold so many students. It is extremely rare that you get the opportunity to study abroad. I am still learning about there education system.

We had a great discussion after my marathon length lecture, btw I tried to give them a DSP (digital signal processing) crash course. It did not go as well as it should have. Anyway back to the great discussion. We talked about culture and history and food. Oh my gosh! The food conversation was sooooo funny! They told me they ate snails and worms, I d--- near threw up. I told them we ate sushi (raw fish) they d--- near threw up! LMAO, you should have seen their faces. One of them even scream cannibal lol. Which was ironically funny on so many levels. So they went on to describe other foods that they eat and they eat mostly everything that has meat. I explain to them that our industrialized farming makes it so we only eat a few select animals (chicken, cow, pig, fish). Then a guinea fowl (I will have to take a picture of one) walked by, I pointed and said I would eat that. In fact I am open to eating anything considered a bird. I will eat an ostrich, parrot, cockatoo, flamingo, penguin, eagle, peacock, hawk, pelican. I think you get the picture lol. If that joint got wings i will fry it up in a heart beat and wont think twice about it. They have lizards like we have squirrels, they come and go as they please. I explain to them a squirrels is like a rat with a bushy tail. Well of course they have a giant rat here called a grass cutter and they eat it (really common food to eat). So they tell me squirrels would not exist! In other words they would be an endangered species in Africa! They have what you call a cassava yam leaf that they eat with rice (the leaves) and its tastes like a spicy spinach. Its is actually good and I don't like spinach at all. So I told them the absolute best leafy vegetable was the collard green! I love me some collards, I got excited tell them about those. Anyway they shot me down with a joke telling me they (greens) probably taste like grass cutter seasoning. What is grass cutter seasoning you ask? Well in remote parts of the country they use the droppings of grass cutter as seasoning...yeah gross lol.

I have not posted pictures or videos lately so i will do so tonight, just wanted to share that while it was fresh on my mind

No comments: