Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Q&A #1

I went to the La Palm beach my last weekend in Ghana. I did get in the water but y'all know brothas can't swim...even your African Coastal Brothas lol. BTW Learning to swim is on my to-do list.


Anonymous,
I confess in so many ways I've been guilty of existing and not living and observing and not experiencing. What are some ways to transition from one to the other?

Simple…just do it! That is actually my slogan or mantra for 2010. We often let fear push us in the wrong direction, especially when we feel unprepared, or inadequate. I think you just have to take that leap of faith. Don't worry about what people say, or how it makes you look, just do it.

Ex. I am absolutely terrified of karaoke. If you want to do a scientific study on ball shrinkage put me on stage. Anyway, I had just told some one my slogan the day before I met up with them at …you guessed it …a karaoke bar. She made me eat my words. I had to get up there and do a song… I bombed! However, I DID IT and that is all that mattered. In fact I decided to have a rematch and I faced that same fear while in Ghana. Don’t you know your boy rocked the mic?! I swear I cranked it! I started the party! I was living and it was great!

You got me feeling like a life coach or something after that one :)

I've really enjoyed your blog and I am praying for your safe return.

And now my questions:

-It is often said that we are all the same. After this experience, do you feel it's true or merely a cliche?

We are definitely different! I think what people mean by that is you see some of the same characteristics in people where ever you go. I thought I would have a hard time being accepted since I was a Black American. Some times it was, some times it was not. However, there was this elderly lady who was a complete stranger to me; of all people she gave me the most sincere welcome and good bye. She was the motherly type and some personalities and characteristics are universal where ever you go. I felt like I had just hugged my grandma. She was not my Granny, in fact she was nothing like her, but the feeling was exactly the same.

-Did you find what you were seeking by taking this trip?

This is a hard one. To answer your question yes, but to completely answer your question you will have to wait on that particular post :)


-How has this trip changed you?

Let me count the ways! The biggest, most noticeable change is my drive. I think back to seeing how people were fighting for scraps and here we are sitting at the table with this large pie, scared...what are we waiting for?! GO FOR IT!!!

- Are there any misconceptions that you like to clear up?

LOL, quite a few. The first one that comes to mind is balancing things on your head is a skill! If you can master it your hands are free to do what ever you want. How many times have you dropped groceries trying to open a door or press a button? We have it all backwards. All these lower back problems come from carrying and lifting with our hands. Your back is perfectly aligned when things are on your head. lol

- What would you do if you lost your passport? LOL

I would have got a 2 dollar hair cut. No, really, that is how much they cost there. Speaking of misconceptions, here is another one. Dudes were on top of the hair cut game! Just like Black America there was a barber shop on every corner, every corner.


This was my last day in Ghana. We had a good time and took a couple of fun pictures. I had two classes I taught. These are most of the students from my 1st period.

2 comments:

*Keisha* said...

Thanks for answering the questions. What are you going to do to maintain your "drive" once you get settled back into your lifestyle and the memories of this trip have taken a seat in the back of your mind? I'm not suggesting your new found motivation isn't genuine, but it's easy to become comfortable here, because the truth is life in Ghana isn't our reality in America.


The picture of LaPalm beach was beautiful. *sigh* It totally makes me long for a vacation. :)

BTW, I didn't post anonymously and I'm not sure why it's appearing that way. Your mom told me visit the link to your blog from her facebook page a few days after you left.

Chris said...

There is a difference between being inspired through word (say Christian ministries) and work (say going to school). While you can forget that life lesson taught in church the next day you will never forget the life lesson you learned in school because you where there for every minute of that struggle. Its the difference of being a spectator and a player.

Having said that. What will I do to maintain the drive? I definitely don't have the answer to that question...I tend to just do stuff so who knows what's next, lol.

Hope you are enjoying the rest of the pictures and the videos. Thanks so much for listening and commenting!