Saturday, May 15, 2010

I don't know what it was but I ate it too! (part two)

I didn't actually eat these, I just thought it was an artistic photo. The grapes were growing in the wild and they were looking delish!



So because I am American they took the head off for me lol. My first day teaching and I was so hungry by lunch time I actually considered eating the fish. That says a lot because I don't eat fish at all. The cassava and pepper sauce was devoured.



JUNGLE OATS?! WTH!!! I was offended but when you are starving for something familiar you will eat the most offensive of products. Its a freakin tiger on the oat meal box! Is that really necessary sir???

You see the slogan "oatso easy" classic, lol


Yeah I really ate this and I can prove it...notice half of it was gone before I took the picture. Hmmm Cassava leaves. If it was not cassava it was some kind of root plant's leaves. It tasted like a spicy spinach. It looks gross as if someone took the liberty of digesting it for me, but I did go back for round two. It was good...however not sure if I knew what else was in it.



I don't remember what this was but I ate that too. Everything was with rice. Looks like it was some onions and I don't know what else.



This was for everyone who says "Chris, you are too picky. How would you know if you never had it". LOL, I ate every last one of those beetle larve!!!!! Fried, dried, and I tried*



Its a rice ball and what looks to be chicken at first glance. uhhh, yeah it was chicken. I hope.



Frutelli was my friend! I did not trust fresh fruits so I would go to the corner store and buy this juice. The juice was like 3cedis (their dollar) so the lady would love to see us. Between me and the other volunteer we were paying her rent. To put the $3 into perspective, the same sized water bottle would be 0.20Pesways (cents) and we were buying them 3-5 at a time.



Chicken and thick than a mug bread. Bread came in loaves, unsliced, and you don't know how annoying it is to slice your own bread without ripping it.



After a successful month of teaching they had dinner in honor of me. I was nervous about the food but it was all good! And we had a great time laughing and joking. They loved to hear me say cow (nun-sh-e-way) because it was one of the many words that did not come out right when I said it. They would literally be rolling on the floor. I will try my best to never laugh at someone attempting to speak English again.



This was the meal. That red sauce was tomato based. Not like ketchup but like a combo between pizza sauce and really mild picante. It was tasty. The yellow wasn't potatoes or cassava but some other type of root that was fried. It was just like a french fry.



Sipping on hypnotic. That is the blue one right? or alize? IDK but notice the plates. They are completely empty. That day was the day I finally figured out what they were doing with the bones... they eat them. Not really a big deal, but I was puzzled for the longest because no one would ever have scraps.



*Well those are all of my food picture and don't worry, I did not eat any beetles. Those were actually tiger nuts. Not actual, actual tiger nuts but like walnuts, peanuts, tigernuts. You chew them for the juices and spit them out. I wish I had taken a picture of the black berry tree. They had these berries that tasted like now or laters!

No comments: