Monday, May 10, 2010

Arrival and the first couple of day's activities


This was recorded maybe an hour after arriving in Ghana. I had no clue what I was in store for, however it was the trip of a life time!




So this is the Saturday of the week I arrived in Ghana. I was at the Ga tribe's religious ceremony. Yeah that's a goat in the background...or at least it was one.



I didn't eat the goat but I tore this cow up!!! With some thick gravy and rice, you heard me?!


It was a lot of breast meat that day! I think I did a great job of missing it with my camera. The old negro spiritual comes to mind, "swing low" and that's all I have to say about that :/


R.I.P. to the homies no longer with us


Aw yeah "po it uuup!" Double shot of jungle juice coming right up.


This was like the Ghanaian steppers ball, I was looking for African R.Kelly. "Ain't a stain on me!" You couldn't tell them nothing with those fresh white dashikis on.

BTW I got my dashiki!


That's not the "peace" sign they are throwing up. Notice the roman numeral two markings everywhere. Sorry, no explanation. It was too much going on and I did not notice in enough time to ask.


Edna and Prince. When I left in the middle of the ceremony to eat at papaye's (popeye's) Edna went with us.


I hate when I see people with Asian tattoo that aren't Asian, because they don't know what the tattoo means. I am officially a hypocrite!


The major downtown areas have nice streets and highways with names and stop lights. Outside the city is another story. I still can't understand how you have a street with no name, it is beyond me. AND DON'T THINK YOU CAN DRIVE HERE. YOU CANNOT, PERIOD!!!!


The Next day (Easter Sunday) Hayford took us sight seeing. Nobody told me where we were going. I thought I was in a slave castle. It was a light house. I was wondering why so many stairs?! lol, silly me.


Too close for comfort but I did it!


View of independence Square from the light house.


"Wonderful God", religion was integrated into everything. You could take the "wonderful God" tru-tru (van) to the "His blessings" corner store and buy some "Jesus wept" bread. I kid you not.


Goats outside their pin. Farm animals were common.


A view from the light house at some kids playing soccer among some "houses".


I believe this was a fish market or depo where they brought in and prepared the fish to sale.


Coastal view with some fishing boats in the background.


The further out you go the less "glamorous". By the time you get to where I was living the road was dirt.


Still getting use to the heat. Just having fun with my camera.


The stadium where the Black Stars play (Soccer)


Independence Square is where they first announced Ghana was free from colonial rule in 1957.




This picture is out of order. It was taken from the light house. There was an Easter celebration below us. Most holidays are done really big but of course they don't have any "mega church" size venues so they are typically outside.



Their coat of arms...no their emblem of... I don't know, it is the equivalent of our bald eagle. Sorry I don't sound college educated at all right now. That's okay I will just go touch my degrees lol.


So in certain places you just pull out your willie and let her rip where ever you want. In fact I had a dude in the middle of conversation "release the peace" and gave it a whiz right in front of me. I was so weirded out, but its nothing to them.



What do you call an African with out a drum? Sell out, lol. I am only kidding. These Ghanaian's had drums for days! No wonder we love to here the beat drop.



Megan doing her thing with the kids. You should know I don't deal with "chill-ren" that small because everybody would be in time out! "Sit down and shut up. Ain't nobody getting Popsicles today" :)




Hope you enjoyed the video and pictures!

No comments: