Friday, May 13, 2011

Gotta start somewhere!


I am an engineer and I want to be the best engineer out there. I want the accolades of successfully engineering products & services that we all dream about, drool over, and make futuristic movies on. I think we all want this for our careers; the problem is having the patience of moving from mediocre to greatness. We all want to mystically start at the top as if we shouldn’t have to be bothered with the task of paying our dues nor shall we have to make any sacrifices on the way...I mean who wants that?!

Well, I decided a year ago I would "start where I am", and looking back I have ascended quite a bit up the side of this mountain...kinda scary to look down actually. I have made some progress in my goal to create smart phone apps and I would like to share with you a simple baseball demo I am using for testing purposes. I wrote the code and I intend to port(convert) it to Android. In doing so I expect the whole process will show (and prepare) me for everything I need to know (and learn) to make functional apps of value.
So without further adieu I would like to show you my work as of a year into the process. Now mind you I am an artist and I’m sensitive about my stuff LOL! I think I did pretty good considering a year ago I didn’t know java nor did I know how to combine it with html so that anyone can access my programs over the web.But don't take my word for it, check it out yourself when you click the text link below ;-)


Alan Park Demo

So as you can see (if it worked LOL!) its a simple baseball game. I decided to do a game because games require a lot of complex code and doing it in java (instead of flash/ openGL) I feel shows I have a handle on the language. Consider the many card games you have on your phone, the level of coding required in this demo is more than enough to make any of those fore mentioned card games... Not to toot my own horn :-P.

S/N: Yes I know it starts out very unresponsive, I am working out directory issues on the Linux hosting server (nerd talk). Nonetheless I consider it a job well done and a great year milestone!!!

No comments: